Tuesday, December 10, 2013

CAN YOU SAY IT??

We have all heard, 'my how time flies", and it is never more evident then when something from your childhood turns 50!  Even though I was only two or three, six years old when Mary Poppins came out, I can still remember wanting everything Mary Poppins!  I received a Mary Poppin's doll for Christmas that year, which I still have.  I loved that little carpet bag that came with her!  Magical things came out of that bag!  Ha!

I remember going to visit my Uncle Don and Aunt Janice that year, it was Aunt Janice that thought me the word  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  I know (now) that I bugged the crap out of her that week end, but by the time we left, I could and still can say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  And, can still recall words from several of the songs. I looked up the meaning of  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious on Wikipedia and it defines it as such:  "Atoning for educability through delicate beauty." According to the film, it is defined as "something to say when you have nothing to say". (This is taken directly from the Wikipedia page).

It was a fun movie, but I wonder with all of technology today will a six year old child find it just as amazing?   One has to do some pretty awesome things to impress some children now a days!  Or, will the main audience be those like myself, reliving a childhood memory?

But then, there is my four year old grandson, Trevor, who laughs "till water comes out his eyes", when we watch funny dog videos.  So, I still have hope of watching the movie with my younger grandchildren and teaching them to say the WORD.

Do you remember going to the movie?  Still have a Mary Poppin's doll? Can you say the Word??

And, since I have nothing more to say  SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS

Hugs,  Vicki






No comments:

Post a Comment